I recently worked at a Client that had the Windows desktop setup in a non-English language. Naturally, I did not get admin rights on the Client owned desktop so I could not change the sqldeveloper.conf SQL Developer config file which was stored in a ‘protected’ location.

Using SQL Developer in a foreign, non-English language was a pain so, after some investigation I managed to find a solution that works nicely on Windows:

  1. Create a shortcut to the application on the Desktop or any other convenient location
  2. Edit the Shorcut properties by adding AddVMOption -Duser.language=en. Please note: after the .exe we have a space and two hyphen characters!
  3. Apply and OK and we are good to go!
2019-08-21_16-02-05

On the macOS systems, the same workaround is not so easy to implement. And I am yet to test it on Gnome or KDE.